With my wife in Houston taking her last required class in person for her degree and me stuck alone in our apartment Cologne during the pandemic, one way we have managed to still have our date nights is watching stuff together. Amazon Prime has this great watch party feature, but we were both logged into the same account and couldn't really figure it out. Netflix doesn't seem to have a shared watching thing either, and streaming isn't really an option. Some of the shows I have downloaded locally I'd need to transfer to her somehow, maybe zipping it to get around copyright blacklists and putting it in dropbox and giving her a shared link? Takes forever, though.
There are already a couple tools that do this. That being said, I decided to try and make my version of this app anyways. Conditions of success:
- Connect to or host a server instance
- Choose a name and avatar that other users can see
- View a combined collection library
- Download files you (connected client) don't have from the server
- Load, play, pause, and seek video files in sync with all other connected users